Like a smiling face, a great business sign forges an instant emotional connection with everyone who sees it.
Here are some eye-opening facts: Half of shoppers say the on-premises sign for your business is the primary eye-catcher that draws them into your store. About 76% of people would try a new store based simply on liking the sign.
Effective signage connects with people, builds trust and boosts foot traffic. It also secures a company’s place as an icon in the community. In fact, anyone who lives within five miles of a store will likely glance at its sign 50 to 60 times per month, making it as valuable as 24 full-page newspaper ads in terms of viewership.
5 Reasons Great Signs are So Powerful
…and why a bad sign can literally ruin a business.
- It’s Your Company’s “Profile Shot” – In today’s social media-savvy culture, everyone has a profile photo – the colorful headshot or avatar that sums up who you are. Without any other information, people use that image as a frame of reference, and they do it instantly. A company’s sign serves exactly the same purpose. With about one to five seconds to capture someone’s attention, it builds an instant connection with potential customers, so they can make that quick decision to go inside. Few of us would dare use an unflattering profile photo, yet businesses leave damaged and worn signs outside their doors for years. Bad signs make a bad impression on potential customers, who think, “If they don’t care about their sign, why would they care about me?”
- It’s Bad Business, If It’s a Bad Sign – Having a bad or absent sign doesn’t just put people off. It hurts your bottom line. A study by FedEx finds 50% of people avoid businesses that have poor signage and 60% simply won’t go into a place without an exterior sign. That’s a huge amount of lost business. On the flip side, adding a bright, colorful sign can drive foot traffic straight into the store. One study finds 60% of businesses that improve their signage see a positive impact on sales, including a 10% increase in transactions.
- It’s Your Silent Salesperson – A great sign is like a cheerful salesperson who stands outside 24 hours a day and seven days a week, welcoming people into your business. Even in the middle of the night, a well-lit sign can remind people of your brand. In fact, research shows people like outdoor signs even more than they like salespeople, because signs offer quick information about the business without an extended discussion: name, hours, website, products.
- It Shows You’re Trustworthy and Professional – Signs build credibility and trust. According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, signs are the primary link between a business and its in-store customers, so a missing sign leaves people feeling that something is lacking. When a business doesn’t invest in a good sign, people wonder whether the owners are invested in the company and community – whether it’s truly a professional operation.
- It Builds Word-of-Mouth Referrals – Happy customers will want to refer you to other people. But that’s hard to do without a visual guidepost. A great sign helps people say, “Look for the creative sign in the window,” not “Um, it’s somewhere on Walnut Street, maybe past the Starbucks.” When people are using other businesses as waypoints, you know there’s something wrong with your own business signage. Signs are crucial for building valuable word-of-mouth and social media referrals. If you want these potential visitors to go directly to your business, you must have a sign that’s bold, memorable and easy to describe to eager new customers.
Create Custom LED Edge Lit Signs at PlaqueMaker
Whether you need a sign for your business or want a fun, unique gift, look no further than our light-up acrylic signs. Available in custom shapes, each LED edge lit sign is laser engraved in frosted white with your personalized text and one free logo, photo or clip art and is illuminated with an LED strip of colored lights in white, blue, green or red. Use our online design tools to create your own look or have our professional graphic designers create a look for you. Once you submit your order, a no obligation quote and free proof is emailed to you within one business day. Typically, your order ships from our warehouse two days after you approve your final design.
Design It Yourself – PlaqueMaker.com
PlaqueMaker.com is a family-owned and operated business located in Indiana. Our custom engraved plaques and more are proudly designed in the USA, using materials sourced from all over the world – that is 4 million plaques and counting since 1999! Our professionally-trained graphic designers, craftsmen and customer service specialists manage every aspect of your creative project personally, from design to production to delivery. Because we are an online-only operation with a single, locally-owned facility, we can offer a secure order process, lower prices, and the fastest possible completion. What’s more – we stand behind our products with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube and our Blog.