Playing board games with your kids can be good for your health. It lowers your blood pressure, improves cognitive function and may even reduce the risk of dementia.
Can playing a game of chess improve your mental sharpness? Will taking part in a challenging game of dominos lower your blood pressure? Studies indicate that people who participate regularly in Game Night with friends and family reap a wide range of benefits besides having fun.
No one knows who creates the first board game or when, although archeologists discover the Egyptian king Tutankhamun likes playing a game called Senet. He likes it so much, the board game is buried with him! Considered the oldest game in history, Senet is played with two people on elaborately carved, inlayed boards and the name means, “game of passing” in Egyptian. Common folk who like playing Senet around 3100 BC probably scratch the playing surface right into the earth.
Board Games Sales Grow to $9.6 Billion
Today, board games are experiencing a revival. In 2016, board game sales increased to $9.6 billion. Millennials are leading the way in this resurgence by establishing game nights across the country. Board game lovers are everywhere! Every year, eager fans come together in Indianapolis, Indiana for the longest-running annual gaming convention in the world, Gen Con. In 2017, a sold-out crowd of 208,000 enjoy “the best four days of gaming” during the 50th anniversary. People young and old play every game imaginable at Gen Con.
So Why Do We Love to Play Games?
People are beginning to realize they enjoy social interaction – in real time (without the phone). Talking and laughing with friends, face to face, is so much more relaxing than text messages or Twitter. Playing board games brings friends and families together. Our shared laughter promotes empathy, compassion and trust with one another. Board games improve our mind, body and spirit.
9 Health Benefits from Playing Board Games
- Increases endorphins – Having fun and laughing increases endorphins in the brain, which makes you feel good.
- Improves cognitive skills – Problem-solving games help strengthen the hippocampus and prefrontal cortex, responsible for complex thoughts and memory function.
- Improves information retention – Challenging games help the brain build strong, lasting cognitive associations, even as we age.
- Reduces risk of certain diseases – Keeping the mind active is thought to lower the chance of developing dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.
- Lowers blood pressure – Endorphins also help muscles to relax and circulation to improve.
- Increases response times – Your memory recall will get quicker with regularly scheduled brain teasers.
- Reduces stress – More adults are playing games today to relax and unwind from high-stress jobs.
- Helps with child development – Games help children develop logic and reasoning skills, critical thinking and improved spatial reasoning. Vocabulary and mathematical challenges help them increase verbal skills and concentration.
- Treats physical challenges – The act of moving pieces around a board game helps improve motor skills for mentally and physically challenged people. It helps increase muscle and nerve function.
Make Game Night Extra Special with a Custom Engraved Game Set from PlaqueMaker
Would your favorite gamer love their very own, personalized, custom engraved chess set? If dominos are their game, what about a domino set that’s personalized for them in full color? PlaqueMaker’s easy-to-use online design tools help you create a one-of-a-kind game set that your favorite gamer will treasure. They are light-weight, ready for travel and made of quality materials.
Design It Yourself – PlaqueMaker.com
PlaqueMaker.com is a family-owned and operated business located in Indiana. Our custom engraved plaques and more are proudly designed in the USA, using materials sourced from all over the world – that is 4 million plaques and counting since 1999! Our professionally-trained graphic designers, craftsmen and customer service specialists manage every aspect of your creative project personally, from design to production to delivery. Because we are an online-only operation with a single, locally-owned facility, we can offer a secure order process, lower prices and the fastest possible completion. What’s more – we stand behind our products with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+ and our Blog.